The number of original documents, images and items needing to be digitized are steadily increasing as Libraries, museums, institutions, universities, public offices, and companies are called to backup and give cloud access to their holdings. Many originals cannot be scanned due to their size, shape, or delicacy and must, therefore, be reproduced with the help of high resolution cameras mounted on special repro stands.
Often, conventional continuous light sources are used to light these originals. However, when the highest image quality is required, we recommend the use of a flash for still images and high-quality LED lights for videos. The selection of versatile repro lights till now has been quite limited, with many users making do using adaptations of historic technology.
Hensel has partnered with the experts at Kaiser Fototechnik to jointly develop a special lamp head that is part of the proven Kaiser repro system and can be used with almost any of the current and many of the older Hensel flash generators.
When compared with traditional continuous light sources the Copy One Repro Flash System offers substantial advantages regarding usage and image quality:
- No loss of resolution due to camera vibrations (shutter movement & mirror bounce)
- Wide range of light intensity without change in color temperature
- The effects of interfering light sources on image results are eliminated, e.g. daylight and ceiling lights
- No fuzziness or blurs due to set-up vibrations or the movement of originals thanks to short flash duration times
- No need for long exposures and/or high light sensitivity – thus no picture noise
- Continuous spectrum and thus authentic color rendering
- Reserve capacities for reproductions with light reducing specialty filters like IR exposures and polarized light
- Integrated LED light for professional video recordings and as modeling light
- Reduced thermal impact on originals
The new Copy One flash head is based on the proven Kaiser lamp head with 21 x 64cm (8.27 x 25.2”) light surface. Besides the special, linear flash tube, the Copy One is equipped with high-quality daylight balanced LEDs that function as a proportional modeling light. They can also be used as a recording light for videos. Using a sturdy clamp mechanism, the lamp arm can be mounted to most Kaiser repro stands and many basic boards with a thickness of up to 55 mm (2.17”). It also has a wide pivoting range.
The Copy One flash head is equipped with a 5m (16’ 4”) lamp cable including a round plug and can be used with all current Hensel Porty L and Nova D flash generators. Thanks to an optional adapter, it can also be connected to Hensel generators with 24-pole long pin which allows compatibility with any older Hensel generators. An integrated thermal protection switch prevents thermal overload.
Beside its main application area in repro photography, the Copy One can also be used as a convenient universal light source in portrait photography, product photography and for lighting backgrounds. The lamp arm can be removed and the 3/8” thread inside the lamp bracket makes mounting on standard light stands easy.
The new Copy One lamp head will be available as single head or repro kit with two heads and lamp arms through the distribution networks of both Kaiser and Hensel from August 2018 onwards. Metal barn doors with integrated clips for filter gels are available as optional accessory.
- flash power: 1200 Ws
- Setting range: up to 8 f-stops, depending on generator
- Flash duration: 1/1,000 s – 1/4,500 s, depending on generator and flash power
- Aperture values: f 4 with 18.75 Ws up to f 64 with 1200 Ws (total capacity – repro set-up with
2x Copy One, Surface 50×70 cm, lamp distance from center of original: 55cm at ISO 100 each)
- Color temperature: 5400 K (flash)
- CRI: > 96 (flash)
- Light surface: 21 x 64 cm (changeable front diffuser)
- Weight: 2,1 kg (without arm and barn doors)
- Scope of delivery: Flash head including flash tube and LED model light, front diffuser, mounted 5m lamp cable with round plug. Repro kit includes 2 lamp arms with clamps.
- Accessories: Barn doors with filter clips, adapter for Hensel long plug
All images © Hensel.
This post is also available in: Deutsch